Tuesday, April 05, 2005

The unconventional wisdom of Carrie Bradshaw

It is Tuesday of what is turning out to be a hectic week. My dad's oldest sister recently arrived in the US, 20 years after her original petition was submitted. She is in LA, but is coming today to stay with us for the next two weeks. Which is not a problem except for our house is small and the only spare room is technically our office (a.k.a. the dump zone). So for the last week I have been frantically trying to clean it up, so that it is somewhat presentable. In addition, I have three birthdays and a farewell lunch this week. Which required a trip to Target for cards and gifts. At 9:30 I finally get home. But I still need to go through the mail and pay all the bills before going to bed. So I head into the office. Unfortunately, due to the room's regular status as a dumping zone, there is a small mess waiting for me from my husband. I pick up the mess and begin on the bills. Finally at 11:00, I make it into bed exhausted. Then I remember--season five of "Sex and the City" is now available on my On-Demand cable! Must watch at least one episode.

I did not become a devoted "Sex and the City" fan until about midway into season six. And then a season later, the series was over. Sure the set is available on DVD, but I am too cheap to pay the $350. Then it became available On-Demand via my cable box. I powered through season two, watching two, maybe three episodes at a time. Only problem with cable, you have to wait a few weeks for the following season to become available. So I marked the calendard and patiently waited for season three which I completed in one entire day while home sick from work. On to season four. Never mind that I have yet to see season one or the fact that I already know how it is going to end. I just cannot get enough. The storyline is just so relevant to my life right now.

For example, last night was "Fleet Week" in NYC. Miranda is a new mommy and Carrie and the girls are feeling a change in the tide. All of a sudden Miranda's life is being consumed with motherhood and there is a disconnect. Carrie being the good friend she is, tries to relate and makes a promise nothing will change. "She had a baby, not a labotomy." Sometimes I have got to wonder. You know those women. In the meantime, Miranda is distracted and feeling left out. She is also scared. I can relate. I think I would be, too. In fact, it is my fear, too.

The show ends with Carrie walking through a perfect NYC night and the following quote, "Sometimes we have to leave behind who we were, in order to become who we will be." Hmmm...I fell asleep pondering that, thinking about the irony in the timeliness of this message. By this time it was way past my bedtime. I cannot help but to wonder if somehow I was meant to watch that episode last night. It was a kind of stressful day and I was feeling pretty grumpy by the time I made it into bed. Regardless, it was just what I needed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Star said...

Great quote! Thanks for sharing it...
So before you fell asleep, did you and yours try to make babies???

Hee Hee Hee...

6:34 AM  
Blogger Knows It All said...

I'm glad that you grew into Sex. I think when it started we were a TAD too young, but I am just like you, I started in the last season and now have watched them all...and I watch it over and over.
THis is a good post, keep writing!

P.S., someone is a dirty bird! :)

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home