Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Damn, people are stupid

I have had enough today with idiots! I am not some kind of elitist, but I really wonder sometimes about other people. There are times when I just want to ask, "What color is the sky in your world?"

Like this guy that I work with. He is the creepiest, most socially awkward freak I have ever had to deal with in a professional setting. He is 44 and looks it--grey, balding. Most days he looks like he slept in whatever he is wearing--shirt half tucked, wrinkled. Despite his disheveled appearance and awkward mannerisms, he fancies himself a ladies man. In fact, he has hit on quite a few of the women at work and has even been spotted chasing complete strangers down in the streets. Sometime last summer, he decided that I might be interested in some of his weekend adventures. It is always the same story. He meets a girl. She is in her 20's. She likes to drink. He takes her out. And she never calls again. Hmmm, could it be because you are a fucking freak?!? I will tell you, I can drink with the best of them. And when I was younger there were nights when I could not have even told you my name. But lord help me if I could ever be drunk enough to think going out with this guy was a good idea! There is not enough liquor on this earth.
Today he really pissed me off. We are in different job functions, but our jobs require that we work closely together. I had a unique situation for which I had to customize a solution, "think outside of the box" as they say in corporate speak. Problem is, this guy is so not one of those "out of the box" people. He wants cookie cutter solutions to every problem. So he kept insisting that I was wrong. I am one of those "hate to be wrong" people. It took a third person to review it, but I was right after all. So I tried to explain why this was a little different. And he was just not getting it. He kept going back to, "Well, in the past other underwriters always did it this way." Okay, jackass! That would be okay if this was not a special circumstance. Can you get it through your thick skull? I would not be so frustrated if this happened only sometimes. No, it happens everytime I have to deal with him. Like on Friday when he had to send me something 5 or 6 times before it was finally right. He has the fucking words "Senior" in his title, I don't.
Then there are all the other incompetents I work with. The guy with autism who never speaks. In fact most days he is completely expressionless, kind of like those guys in the Blue Man Group. It freaks me out. I say 'hi' and he just looks at me and blinks. No smile. No nothing. There is Farrah Faucet with her polyester suits from the '80's. Not knowing how to use Excel, she once hand calculated a spreadsheet, manually entered all the figures, and still could not get it to add up. Then there is the evangelist. There is no such thing as luck, everything is a "blessing". I often wonder why I have been so blessed to be on such a team of misfits.
Tomorrow I will get up and do it all over again. For now I am just glad to be in the company of my cat and my dogs which I prefer over that of the idiots I work with!

2 Comments:

Blogger Little Star said...

Aren't you glad you have this blog... I so regret giving my blog to co workers... Because i have some stories!
I love the end of bad days... i love that they're over, and behind me, and almost always the next day is better...
I hope i didn't just jinx you!

9:45 PM  
Blogger Knows It All said...

Wow. Sounds like you work with people as interesting as I do. Ouch.
Can I please be invited to your next happy hour?

Do you watch "The Office" on BBC? You must. THere is an American version, but not quite the same. Seriously...you won't regret it.

6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home