Wednesday, June 15, 2005

All Wet

Ugh! I just got back from shopping for yet another shower. This time it is a baby shower, but I have already had two others plus a wedding shower in a matter of two weeks. All these babies cropping up around me are getting expensive. I don't mind so much the wedding shower because at one time I had a shower, too. But the baby showers, well, I just don't know if I will ever be able to recoup the costs. Is that terrible for me to think that way?!? It's just that, unlike the wedding shower, I just don't know if I will ever have a baby shower of my own.

I don't know why I am keeping score over such a thing, but it seems like I am always the one making the effort. One of the showers I went to was for a 2nd baby, and I don't know the etiquette on such things, but I thought it was a little tacky to have a shower for a 2nd baby. Especially, like in this case, the children are close in age and of the same gender. I could see if the proud new parents were less fortunate, but they drive the Land Rover, not me! The other two baby showers are college friends. Neither one of them attended my wedding shower. Not that it should matter, but for some reason it is bothering me a little.

Maybe I am bitter because I sometimes feel like I have been getting the short end of the stick all my life. You see, my birthday is 10 days before Christmas. So as far as I can remember, I have always received the two-for-one--Merry Birthday/Happy Christmas present. So, not only do I get half as many birthday presents as almost everyone I know, but now this, too. If I decide to never have children, I will miss out on even more presents. Yet, I will still be assigned separate gifts for birthdays, graduations, weddings, and babies for everyone else. I know, I know--gifts should be given from the heart. And don't get me wrong, I do these things because I want to (mostly). I probably would not have even noticed if they had not all been clumped together. Or if I had not just got my toes done yesterday. How I would love to afford that more often, when it hit me that I have spent about $150 in two weeks buying other people's kids stuff. Gees! That's five pedicures.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knows It All said...

Yes, and I am registered now for my wedding, bachelorette, wedding shower, and engagement! Ha!!! JOKING!!!

Just jokes. I say buy the little buggers a 6 pack of diapers each, and that's that~ :)

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home